boy doll in this pair was the last (and best) doll I completed before
my short break from doll-making; I was very proud of him. I think
I prefer the painted eye version of this antique doll; however the
glass-eyed original is rarer and thus more valuable. Nonetheless
I always intended to make him a sister with glass eyes, and had
completed a head only to find that it had cracked across the bridge
of the nose due to my enthusiastic bevelling; I noticed the crack
only after painting was complete. So he had to wait a few years
for his sister but here she finally is. I wanted the pair of them
to look a little "bundled up" in their clothing, as Victorian
children were, and like they were trying to enjoy a day on the beach
in fine English weather. I was pretty pleased with the overall effect.
copied the boy's outfit from a picture in one of the old Wanke catalogues.
He is not exactly in a sailor suit. He has a cotton shirt trimmed
with broderie anglais and a royal blue necktie. His trousers are
navy blue wool with a side-buttoning waistband. He wears black socks
inside brown gloving leather boots made up of several sections with
decorative black top stitching and brass buttons up the side. His
hair is made from mohair locks which I combed washed and dyed blond.
I have let the mohair take up its natural curl to produce an all-over
copied the girl's dress from one shown in the Florence Theriault
Their Fashion [Page 77]. It is made of the same navy wool
as the boy's trousers. I pleated the bodice section prior to cutting
the shape, and box-pleated the skirt section using a pleater. I
applied the off-white cotton tape (vintage) some of which I folded
to make thinner stripes but some of which I cut and fray checked
(for the bottom of the skirt). I was especially pleased with the
result - but pride comes before a fall - I was looking in the Theriault
website one day only to find that they sell facsimiles of this outfit
girls boots are the simplest I have ever made being of two basic
pieces, and giving a good fit; they have a wide front opening with
cross straps (on which I have put decorative buckles), and you can
adjust these to be exactly the right length to fit the doll's calf.
You can also view the doll's nice hand knitted white cotton socks
through the front opening. This doll's underwear was made in cotton
from a pattern "7 at one stroke" appearing in the Gildebrief
magazine [1999 Volume 1]; she looked so very nice all in her white
shift it was a shame to cover her up, (which was good since she
was in her underwear for quite some time). I decided I must make
a KR114 girl in a white sailor suit in future. Her hair is made
from the same mohair as the boy's, but I used longer pieces with
the natural curl.
the other items like the hats and boats were purchased. They are
not especially fine quality pieces but suitable.